Split Screen Focusing Screen on DSLR

Camera lenses nowadays are expensive but the older ones are just a bit on the cheaper side. Some lenses just won't auto-focus on certain cameras because the AF motors are either located within the camera body or within the lens itself. Those with the AF motor found within the lens are expensive while the ones without are relatively cheaper.

I'm a Nikon user, so I don't know about Canon cameras or any of the other DSLRs, but the only lens that will AF on my camera are the Nikkor AF-S lenses. My camera does not have an internal AF motor. Most AF-S lenses are just too expensive for me, especially since I don't have a job, nor have I even had a job, ever.

When I first got my Nikon D40 I noticed that the focusing screen isn't like the Canon AE-1, the only other SLR camera I've ever held. It had a 50mm f1.4 lens, I've always had a hard time with it, most shots were out of focus or the depth of field was just too shallow.

Turns out there's a way to have a splitscreen focusing screen on your DSLR camera, by simply replacing the focusing screen.



I noticed that some have it not exactly centered, and I've read that at certain aperture settings it'll black out, or it might have a problem metering, or less light might be entering the viewfinder. Atleast it helps a lot with manual focusing.




More info can be found here.
i installed a "katz eye" in my d40

Here's a Yahoo! Answers about why modern cameras don't have the splitscreen focusing screen anymore.
Why do modern SLR's not have rangefinders?

And here are places where you can buy them from.
KatzEye Optics

Focusing Screen.com

Haoda Camera Accessory Store

I for one would like to buy one and put it into my camera, but I don't have the money, plus the only lens I have is the kitlens.

Comments