Final Fantasy XI

Last week, I bought Final Fantasy XI from Amazon for $5.

Just for $5, you get a digital download of the game with all of the expansion packs, except Seekers of Adoulin, since that hasn't been released yet.

With every new purchase of FFXI, you get a 30-day-free-trial for one character, and an in-game item that helps you in the game until you reach level 20.

It's about $12 per 30 days of playing, and an additional $1 for every character registered to your account.

The whole download is about 4 gigabytes and it fits perfectly in a DVDR.

After installing the game and expansion packs and the PlayOnline Viewer and Tetra Master, it's going to download some files to update the POL Viewer.

Then after you've registered your registration code and registered for a Content ID, it's going download even more files to update the game. It took me 4 hours before I could start playing the game.

It's been 9 years since I first purchased this game for over $50 at GameStop.

Back then, Rise of the Zilart was the only expansion pack available.

It took forever to level up back then, but now it's very easy. Back then, you couldn't play the game solo after level 12. You'd have to have a party to get decent experience points to level up.

Finding a party back then would take hours and would only last for a couple minutes. I can't say how it is now, since there aren't that many players, but until then, that's all I can say.

Playing solo back then, you'd get very low experience points from the mobs and you could barely survive the fight, but now, the lowest experience points you can get is 80 vs the 2 (I think) back then and still have some HP for another fight.

I've made it to level 23 by playing solo, but I bet I can level up a lot faster if I played with a party.

There aren't that many players online anymore, and the Auction House doesn't have that many items in there. I guess the only way to obtain gear is by checking out in-game shops. But the best way to make money is by selling materials through the Auction House. The items I see in the Auction House are mostly materials needed for crafting.

One thing that hasn't changed, is that, it takes forever to travel. It takes at least 5 minutes to go from one zone to the next.






That's a lot of expansion packs.

The character select screen.

Wearing Leather gear.






Planar Rift. I don't know what it is for.

Looks like Atomos. I have no idea what that is, maybe it's a dungeon.

Moogle inside your Mog House.

Check out this female Tarutaru in a blue dress.


It's best to play this game with a gamepad, because the experience with using a gamepad is like playing through a console.

The above picture is the Afterglow gamepad for the Xbox 360.

One thing that's great about the gamepad from the Xbox 360, is that the wired gamepads are compatible for PCs, but the wireless ones don't work without an extra peripheral.

Oh yeah. The left and right triggers can't be mapped to be used for FFXI.

Back then my brothers and I used the Belkin Nostromo N45 (not pictured). It feels comfortable to hold, but after a few weeks, the thumbsticks would lose their calibration and won't work properly.

Comments